Monday, August 20, 2007

Management Jeopardy

"I'll take Unsane At Any Speed for $1000, Alex."

"This defies rational explanation and is a sure-fire hint that you're working at the wrong place. Yes, Dave."

"What is a four hour meeting that starts at 6 PM?"

I'm not smart enough to make this up. I'm pretty sure that meetings that long are in violation of the Geneva Convention to begin with, but having it start well after working hours end on top of that?

To clear up some mitigating factors that weren't...

  • We do not have any off-shore workers, so it's not a matter of having to figure out a way to meet with people halfway around the globe.
  • We are not a huge company.
    • I can't keep track given all the resignations and hirings, but we've got about 40 employees.
    • We are owned by a (much) bigger company.
    • We have one main point of contact with this bigger company (most of the time) who was involved in it.
  • Adding injury to injury, some of the people in the meeting had an 8 AM meeting earlier that day.
    • It wasn't a matter of showing up late in the day for a late meeting.
    • No time's being compensated for this. There was no half day at the end of that tunnel.

In as much of its defense as I can raise, I wasn't in this meeting and the people who were in it say that they really got stuff done. If I was in there, I'd be telling myself that to save my sanity too, so who knows.

Actually, there would be no need to save my sanity. Nobody's going to pay me the kind of money I'd expect to be paid for the insane brand of job where the very idea of a meeting from 6 PM to 10 PM isn't immediately laughed out of the building.

This is, easily, the worst solution for the "we have too many meetings and not enough hours in the day to get all the particulars together" problem that I've ever seen.

No comments: